Saturday, July 6, 2013

BB Creams: Rimmel BB Cream 9-in-1 Skin Perfecting Super Makeup

I generally like Rimmel, as a product house. They are reasonably priced, and they have a good variety of different coloured products, and I've been using their lipsticks for ages. What can I say? I'm a sucker for the little crown logo.

However, when Rimmel first released their BB Cream here, several months ago, I was immediately biased against it. It hit stores a few months after Garnier's BB Cream came out, and where Garnier marketed its BB Cream as correcting 5 major concerns for skin, Rimmel says they correct 9! It struck me as a childish game of one-upmanship, and in the game of makeup, with all the other options available, "I'm four better than you, nya nya nya nya nyaa," didn't do much to impress me.

Having finally finished my last bottle of Garnier's BB Cream, and seeing that the BB Cream industry has suddenly flourished, I thought it time to get over myself, and try Rimmel's BB Cream.

Rimmel's BB Cream, 9-in-1 Skin Perfecting Super Makeup "promises" the following:
  •  Primes, 
  • Moisturises, 
  • Minimises pores, 
  • Conceals, 
  • Covers, 
  • Smoothes, 
  • Mattifies, 
  • Brightens, and
  • Helps protect. Lightweight, ultra comfortable formula instantly gives a flawless, 100% natural finish. SPF 25

The BB Cream comes in a 30ml (1fl oz) tube, with a screw on lid. There are 3 different shades available here, light, medium and dark (I need to double check this, Rimmel's London site says there are only 2, but I'm sure I saw more than 2 available shades...), I took light, having tested the shades in the store.

It has a citrusy and slightly sun-block like scent to it, that is slightly cloying, but I tend to forget about the scent shortly after applying  it. This is a thicker BB Cream than the other 2 already reviewed, with the same consistency as sunblock in a tube.

Then I hit the first huge stumbling block with Rimmel's BB Cream. When applied to my face, and as I started to stroke it into my skin, the product started to "roll up" and make tiny sausages of product. Remember when you were a child, and you would play with play dough or plasticine, rolling it out with your palm into a long thin sausage? That is exactly what this product started to do, on my face. When I tried to swipe the little sausages off my face, it just caused more product to catch and more sausages were formed. This meant the first few times I used this product I was lightly slapping my face to get these sausages off my face, without streaking the product that had actually bothered to lie flat on my face, all the while trying to avoid anything getting caught in my hair, so it didn't look like I had foundation boogers hanging off of my face. - Charming, right?

Since necessity is the mother of all invention, and this is nearly 3 times the price of the Garnier BB Cream, a solution had to be found outside of throwing away the BB Cream, or just not using it. I happen to have Vitamin C Energizing Face Spritz, from The Body Shop, which I sometimes use just to give my face a bit of life on those dull, drained days. I decided to spray on the mist, and before it is absorbed, apply the Rimmel BB Cream. Success!

Rimmel's BB Cream provides decent coverage and concealer, doing a decent job of covering up acne hyper pigmentation. This does not mean, however, that it fully covers them. If you want to completely hide hyper pigmentation or other discolouration, you will need concealer and most likely foundation. However, it does blur them, and makes them seem less dark. It provides a matte finish, where both Garnier and The Body Shop's BB Cream have a more dewy finish. I did not notice any skin brightening effects from this BB Cream, and certainly no one commented on my skin looking brighter. It is a decent to good moisturizing product; considering that I'm moving into winter now, it is getting drier and cooler here, but this held up quite well, and there was no dryness or tightness in the cheeks as the day wore on. I really like that this comes with a higher SPF, and whilst it does give a slight ghost cast to the colour tint, it is something I'm willing to put up with for greater protection.

In the end, I won't repurchase this. It is the same price as an all out foundation, and a lot of the things Rimmel advertises as the BB Cream's strong points, I can get from a foundation and get better coverage. But the biggest reason I won't repurchase this, or recommend this, is the sausage effect.  The sausage effect was so off-putting, it made my face look like I was either peeling from sunburn, or having an eczema outbreak!

One of the big selling points for BB Cream is it's meant to be for the "girl on the go" who doesn't have the time to put on a full face of foundation, but still wants to cover up a little bit and have a polished finished look. I don't get that if I'm having to reach for a spritz, spray my face, then reach for the BB Cream. Personally, I do not think applying BB Cream should  be a two-stage process.

On the plus side, though, being a 30ml tube, it should finish quickly.




No comments:

Post a Comment